Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Farmers Wife Block 11 - Broken Dishes

Today I worked on block #11 Broken Dishes. Did I say that I hate using templates? Well I do and will do anything to figure out a better way to make these blocks. This is one that was pretty straight forward. I saw Amanda's blog post on this and put my own spin on it so now you have 2 different ways to make this block without templates.

This is a pretty straightforward block, 4 four patch blocks. The HSTs need to be 2" when trimmed. This time I used my handy dandy Accuquilt Go, but any way that you want to make these HSTs will work. Here's the other methods I use the pinwheel way and the HST ruler way. Note - If you are using the Pinwheel method cut the fabric squares 4.5" and if using the HST rule method you will make your strips 2.5".

  • To make this I cut 16 2.5" HSTs of each color with my Accuquilt Go. Hint - cut your fabric 3" x 3.5", this will fit the die and have very little waste.
  • Then make 16 HST squares, press towards the darker color and trim to 2".
  • I put this block together by making 4 four patches. Sew 2 HST blocks together making sure to press the seems toward the dark triangle. You will make 8 sets of these 2 patches.
  • I then sewed those 2 two patches into four patches. The seems should match in the center and the diagonals.
  • The trick to making these easy is in the pressing. If you follow these directions all the diagonals will meet up every time.
  • On 2 of the four patches press the seem towards the top and the other 2 towards the bottom.
  • Lay the blocks out with the 2 blocks that are pressed towards the bottom on the left side and the 2 towards the top on the right.
  • Sew the top 2 blocks together pressing the seem towards the right and the bottom 2 blocks with the seem towards the left.
  • Then simply sew the top row to the bottom row.
Here's a picture of the back of my block. And the finished block.

 I hope this helps make this block easier. If you have any questions please post them below and i will get back to you.

Sha :)

1 comment:

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you :)