Monday, July 25, 2011

Hand Quilting for the First Time

Since I am making an effort to finish the quilt tops that I have done (I have 6 currently) the jelly roll race quilt was next on the list. Then I had this wonderful idea to hand quilt it. I thought it would be the perfect way to learn to hand quilt, after all how hard is it to sew a straight line by hand? Harder than I had expected it to be that's for sure.

I wanted to use several different colors so first I bought DMC floss. I though that would give me the best color selection. After doing a few rows I wasn't sure if the 2 strands I was using would stand up to washing. I asked several of my quilting tweeples and they recommended using pearl cotton instead for the look I wanted. So I learned that lesson the hard way and back to Joann's I went to get pearl cotton. Luckily I had a ton of coupons so every skein was discounted. I'm sure the people behind me were thrilled with me, but I every penny saved is more I can spend on fabric :)

I decided to just do a running stitch down the center of each row. The first few rows I did were pitiful and they got pulled out pretty quickly. Then a funny thing happened, I found my rhythm! I am using pretty big stitches so this is not traditional at all, but I like the way it's coming out. Is every stitch the same length, no. Are my lines totally straight, no. But no matter what it's mine and will be a nice cozy quilt for the guest room.


So next time you try something new don't be too hard on yourself. Be proud of what you have done!

Sha :)

4 comments:

  1. I did stitch-in-the-ditch quilting for the first time on a jelly roll race quilt this weekend. I don't trust my ability to stay straight down the center of a row like that, even with the nifty guide on my machine - so kudos to you, for trying something new AND sorta freehanding it! How does it look on the back with the different colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearl cotton is great!! Love working with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great to me! And good for you for trying something new :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you used the colored floss to match each row and tried something different. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you :)