Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rose of Sharon

I decided that my Tula Pink quilt needed a little surprise and I had gotten a tiny part of it dirty so I decided to use my handy dandy Accuquilt Go! Baby and the Rose of Sharon die to spruce the quilt up. This is the first time I have actually done any applique to a quilt, so I was really nervous about it. But with the help of some Steam-to-Steam I was able to do it. I did a blanket stitch around the outside flower, a split stitch around the middle flower and a backstitch around the center. The most difficult part was the center, there was 9 layers to embroider thru, my poor fingers were so sore by the end of that little circle. I am very happy with the outcome. What do you think?


The only concern I have is with washing it, I'm not sure how the applique will do in the wash. If you have advise on how to wash this, I'd love to hear it.

Sha :)

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks gorgeous. :) I can't wait to get my Rose of Sharon die - fingers crossed the courier knocks on my door tomorrow!

    thepeonyteacup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great. Suggestion for next time to make the applique easier. Start by appliqueing the center to the middle, then the middle to the outside, then the outside to the quilt. Then you only have to go through one layer for each section. Hope that helps. I like all your different stitches. They look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. It should be fine on a gentle wash, as long as you've secured your threads well. How big is the quilt? If small, pop into a large pillowcase to protect it in the machine. As Peggy suggests above, I would stitch the inner shapes before adding, and use Bondaweb to attach to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice touch with the flower Sha! I agree with Cajame on how to wash it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! You did a great job and I love that you were able to use another of your dies. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you :)