Sunday, February 19, 2012

Twist Along Week 2

Are you ready to work on your Twister Quilt some more? If you missed week 1 here's the link to that post.

This week we will be putting the borders on the 36 patch you made last week. Then later in the week we will be cutting the twister squares.



If you are using 10" squares for the 36 patch you will need to cut 8 - 6.5" x WOF strips then sew 2 strips together to make 4 long border strips.
If you are using 5" squares you will need 4 - 3.5" x WOF strips

Here's a short tutorial on how to sew strips together with a bias seam.

Here's a technique I use when putting borders on my quilts. I used to sew a strip of fabric onto the quilt that was bigger than the quilt length and trim the overhang off to be even with the quilt. But that just got me a wonky quilt. The secret is to cut the opposite side borders the same length and then make the quilt fit the borders so both sides are even.


1. Lay your quilt top out on the floor and take 2 of the border pieces. Pin them to the middle of the top part. Have a helper hold where the fabric is pinned together or put a pin cushion or something else that has a little weight to it on the spot where the pins are. The middle of the quilt is the most stable and least wonky part.

2. Now smooth out the 2 border pieces over the quilt, trying not to pull the border strips or the quilt.


3. Trim the ends of the border strips off where the bottom edge of the quilt is (I use scissors). These 2 borders are for the sides of the quilt. If you cut the pieces a tad bit wonky you can straighten them up.

4. Fold the quilt top in half along the side. If the half way mark is not on a seam then finger press a crease or use a pin to mark the center.

5. Fold the border piece in half and fold to make a crease or use a pin to mark it.

6. Line up both the half way marks and pin.

7. Now pin the border to the right end of the quilt. I find it helpful to pin along the top and then one pin along the side edge to prevent any part from stretching. If it is a tad bit to small or big you can spread out the problem throughout the entire side so it won't even be noticeable. This is how you fix a too big or too small side. Now pin half way between the 2 pins and so on till the entire right half of the border is pinned. I usually like to have a pin at least every 3 inches.

8. Repeat with the left half until the entire border is pinned.

9. Repeat for the opposite side so you have both borders pinned on.

10. Sew using a 1/4" seam. Then press towards the border.

11. Repeat for the top and bottom parts.

Walaa! Borders on the quilt that have right angles for the corners!


I'd love to see your progress, don't forget to post them on the flickr page for the Twist Along.

This should keep you busy for a while. Later in the week we will start cutting the twister squares and sewing them together. That part will take the longest so I have allowed a few extra days for it.

Till next time


3 comments:

  1. Wish I had a twister ruler, I would join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still running behind and need to piece my blocks! I'll get it done this week though. I have a question about the number of blocks, Sha. I am using a charm pack and wondering if it will only work with 36 blocks or can I use more? I was going to mix my charm pack with some solids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACK! Ok now I MUST get on this 'cause I haven't gotten anything done yet. Remember that Granddaughter we were waiting to arrive? Yep, she did on the 11th by a surprise and emergency c-section too. That pretty much shot my sewing for the past week. I just sat about 20 minutes ago and killed almost all my reminders on Outlook for the rest of this week so I can actually get OFF my computer and over to my machine. I have a Grandbaby that needs burp cloths and bibs. Her Momma calls every day or so and the first thing she asks is "Did you make anything yet?" LOL She's pushing me but only because she KNOWS me too well. I need that. But, now I need to get on this too.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you :)