Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Scrap piles

Over the past few weeks I have made several bags of different types and sizes of fabric scraps. Today I was cutting Sherbert Pips for 2 different quilts and got all these scraps. I only had 1/4 yard of each fabric, here's the scraps after cutting eight 5" squares and nine 2.5" squares:
1. Pile of charm squares
2. Pile of 2.5" squares
3. Pile of small jelly roll strips
4. Pile of scraps that I can use in a doll quilt (my new favorite thing!)

I would also have a scrap pile of pieces bigger than 2.5" but there wasn't any. When I use this system nothing except for the selvages and thin strips to square up get wasted.

What do you save and how do you organize them? I find this system makes looking for certain size scraps easier.

I'd love to hear how you deal with your scraps.

Sha :)


2 comments:

  1. I do the same as you have done. I keep the like sizes and colors together in a bin I call scraps. I put mine in zip lock bags just cause when you drop them it is a BIG mess! :(

    I keep the selveges separate cause someday I'm gonna make a selvege quilt. Someday. LOL

    I also keep the scrappy small bits and pieces, corners, dog ears, etc and grind them up to use in quilt restoration work. I hardly ever throw anything away at all. One of my goals is to be a 100% Sustainable studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so organized. I just have a basket I put them in.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you :)